SURVIVING NYSC ORIENTATION CAMP

I didn’t announce before leaving but I got posted to Imo state for the compulsory one year service to my country. My whole family was happy, afterall it wasn't the north.
Everyone told me how camp was fun!! My morale was high!  I got to umudi camp, nkwerre local government and the smile on my face was wiped off!! I wanted to leave the minute I stepped in.
Below are the ways I can think, will make camp bearable :
1. Let your expectations be low: What i really mean is hope for the worst, expect the worst. Do you know my shock when I arrived camp and saw nursing mothers with their new born babies??Or when my friend woke me up by 3am to bath?! I tied my towel and I said, 'Oya wey the bathroom?!' She said, 'Ifeoma, na outside you go baff. A part of me died there, I felt violated. Me, Ifeoma the daughter of Mr Nwawe is bathing outside, with boys passing by and shining torchlight!! I didn't spend 5 years in school for this foolishness.
2. Don't go with cross country : I know it's already late bgy now. Those people ooze unprofessionalism, the annoying part is that you can't smell it until you are too close.. I arrived camp by 11:30pm, now you get my point.
3. Unleash the gangster/tout  in you:
To be frank, NYSC is not for calm people especially during the registration period. The registration is for 'awon ota'. You know Nigerians and their hatred for due process. If your fake close up smile won't grant you access in the registration hall, you might as well just push. Or better still take your time, afterall you have 21 days to spend there.
4. Forgive them for they know not what they do : People will piss you off, I promise!! It could either be by virtue of what they say or even how they reason. Please don't take offense. People with different schools of thoughts and funny modes of reasoning. Ignore them, if laughing is difficult.
5. The married people :Am I the only one who thinks, most married persons who partake in the nysc scheme can be very annoying and bossy?!
I be like:So because of that gold thing on your hand, I no go hear word abi?!  Ngwanu, continue..
The part that pisses me off is when they feel the need to pray for you the minute they know you have not started planning your wedding. Biko, did I beg you?!  if I want husband, won't I ask God?!  what is my mouth now for??
6. The local champions : You see this people when you are selecting platoon leaders. They won't let you rest, they are everywhere like evil spirits. Ehn, I was the head coach in my department at school, I even followed Nigeria to the Olympics last year. Or. I was social prefect in my secondary school, vote me for head of socials. After you vote them, they are not available when needed and perform poorly. Sigh.
7. Soldiers:The soldiers in my camp were wonderful!!  I am not saying this because my camp commandant was cute!! *covers face *.But they were really funny. Let me announce on this platform that soldiers can't influence your posting, they are not in the administative arm of Nysc, so don't go and start opening body for them.
8. Carry your own money :Chances are you won't like the meals served in the kitchen. It's not like maami market is any better. Just know it could have been worse. Buy your things yourself. People have a warped sense of reasoning. Nothing goes for free.
9. Carry your toiletries and stationery :Things might be unnecessarily pricey.
10. Make friends : I made some incredible friends during the camp period.. I hope you do too..
11. If participating in activities will make the 21 days easy to bear, then do so.
12. Join a religious group :Its very possible to get lost in camp, it's important that you maintain a spiritual connection with God. NYSC can be all shades of frustrating, you will need to stick with God to keep you going. Not only do you need them for spiritual growth, you will need them after passing out parade as many of them make transportation arrangements for corp members to their place of assignment.
I wish you all the best in your various camps. Have a wonderful service year. :-*
I would have loved to upload some pictures but network dey one kain.
                        Love,
                Ifeoma N.

1 comment

thulannguyen said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

FadoExpress là một trong những top công ty chuyển phát nhanh quốc tế hàng đầu chuyên vận chuyển, chuyển phát nhanh siêu tốc đi khắp thế giới, nổi bật là dịch vụ gửi hàng đi nhậtgửi hàng đi pháp uy tín, giá rẻ

nwawe ifeoma. Powered by Blogger.